We spotted each other from across the room and kind of just fell for each other instantly.

I met John at a mutual friend's house in 2005. We spotted each other from across the room and kind of just fell for each other instantly. After that night we were pretty inseparable and after six years of dating, we finally decided to tie the knot. And it was magical.



The morning of the wedding I woke up and ate oatmeal with blueberries, breathed in and out a few times and then told myself not to stress about all the little details and to just be present for the rest of the day. Which is exactly what I did. I felt like a million bucks.


We were married in an apple orchard, under a driftwood chuppah that we made ourselves. Almost everything in our wedding we made by hand — the tables, signs, salt and pepper holders and bread boards. It was a lot of work. But totally, totally worth it.



My dad walked me down the aisle, to an instrumental version of Bob Dylan's "Girl From The North Country." It was one of the sweeter moments in my life. We wrote our own vows. The ceremony had its traditional moments but it was definitely catered to us.


At some point my uncle took one look at our driftwood chuppah and my husband's long hair and said "Oh I get it, this is a hippie wedding." I guess we kind of knew that was coming.



My favorite part was when we slipped the ring on each others fingers and said: "I am my beloved and my beloved is mine" and took a sip of wine out of a beautiful bronze goblet we'd found at an antique store that summer.


After the ceremony there was a jazz band and everyone sat around on rugs and blankets we spread out in the grass. We ate dinner in a secret garden enclosed by tall green hedges. There were lots of wild flowers and candles and crystals.


The food was all local and seasonal — grilled salmon, roasted fingerling potatoes, and salad greens with grilled peaches and chèvre. We drank good wine and beer. And then there was coffee and cake. And more wine.



John and I danced to Neil Young's "Harvest Moon", and at some point I put on a black velvet jacket (that had belonged to my Mother) and took off my shoes. I danced barefoot in the candlelight for the rest of the night.