Anna + Aaron

I thought he was either going to be my future husband or new gay best friend.

We met at a 24 hour diner called "The Lucky Penny" in San Francisco. He ran into me as I was smoking a cigarette outside. I thought he was either going to be my future husband or new gay best friend. I wanted to know more about him. He knew everyone and had this intense, mysterious air about him.

He was different because he actually liked me. I was so used to dating the bad boy. Aaron called me all the time. I had never had someone pursue me the way that he did.


One rainy afternoon, Aaron showed up at my door and told me he had something to show me. It was about an hour commute on public transportation, then we walked through the college campus into this dark room with nothing but an empty piano in it. We sat as I played and then talked and kissed for awhile in the room. It was one of those over the top romantic gestures that came from a super genuine place and I knew I was in love.

After about a year and half of being together, he proposed on my 23rd birthday. He told me I couldn't use my phone and didn't tell me where we were going. I felt a little sick so I was complaining most of the day. We hiked up a trail to the top of this gorgeous overlook and I was still complaining about being tired and sick when finally he said, "can you stop for one second, I’m trying to ask you to marry me!". I broke out into tears. Then he took me to get my nails done and then we went back home and he told me to get ready for a nice dinner out. When I walked in the restaurant my entire family from the East Coast was there and our best friends. I wanted to have a big, fancy Southern party but that all changed when I found out I was pregnant. We planned the entire wedding in 90 days so I didn't have time to worry about the small details like table clothes and what flowers went where.



Our wedding took place in downtown Charleston, SC. We had 75 guests, almost of all whom were family. I knew every single person and it was such an intimate evening. We got married in November so it was the perfect temperature - not too hot, not too cold.

I wrote my vows that morning after I had breakfast. I sat on my mom's porch with a friend. I'm not one with words really but those vows still hold true for me today. My dad walked me down the aisle. He passed away this January so I am eternally grateful he was able to be there for me on that day. Those images of us walking down the aisle are the most precious thing I own.